Sometimes when I talk with friends about tricycles for adults, I get odd looks as people cast their minds back to their childhood when they learned to ride a tricycle.
Not you, though.
If you’re reading this, you likely already know the benefits of an adult tricycle, ranging from a higher weight capacity than bicycles to increased stability and safety when riding.
These advantages make trikes perfect for low-impact exercise, heavy adults, senior riders, and those who have mobility or injury issues and require or prefer a more comfortable ride.
In recent years the range of 3-wheel bikes has grown exponentially, and today you can choose from a lightweight tricycle to one that folds or even has an electric motor if you want to enjoy a more leisurely ride.
While these increased choices can be positive, it does mean that finding the best adult trike for your needs and budget can be confusing. I’ve been riding and testing tricycles for several years, and I’d like to share some important considerations when choosing a tricycle.
So, what is the best tricycle for adults? #ad
Updated 2023: We added new adult tricycles we like, removed some previous models, and updated our reviews of other trikes to reflect changes in features, specifications, and pricing.
The Schwinn Meridian is my pick for the best tricycle for adults because it offers superior stability than other trikes I tested, has a range of gearing and wheel sizes you can choose from, and comes at a very competitive price point. Schwinn is also a reputable brand and provides a 5-year warranty on the Meridian’s frame.
For those who need a more compact model, the SLSY 7-Speed is my recommendation for the best folding tricycle on the market today. It folds down to a compact size, has seven gears ideal for various terrains, and like the Schwinn, offers excellent bang for your buck.
Are Adult Tricycles Worth It?
Adult tricycles are worth it for heavier riders, seniors, and those with balance or injury issues. The main advantage of 3-wheel bikes is that they are more stable and comfortable than bicycles, making them ideal for a safer, more leisurely ride.
Tricycles are also a great way to incorporate fitness and exercise into your day in a fun and convenient manner.
One disadvantage of tricycles is that they tend to be heavier and larger than bicycles, making them a little unwieldy to store and drive.
How Do You Pick the Right Size Tricycle?
This year, I have seen a notable trend that many tricycle manufacturers offer you different wheel sizes. This is an important consideration when choosing a tricycle, so I wanted to address it upfront before we look at specific tricycle recommendations.
Here is a guide to the correct size tricycle based on your height, noting that tricycles are generally measured relative to wheel size rather than frame sizing used for bicycle sizing:
|Wheel Size (inches)||Rider’s Height|
|20”||4’8” to 5’4”|
|24”||4’11” to 5’9”|
|26”||5’3” to 6’2”|
Note: If a specific manufacturer offers different advice than the above, you should follow it as it may be adjusted for that particular tricycle design.
If you are debating between two different wheel sizes, choose the larger wheel size because it will give a smoother rolling performance (i.e., you won’t feel bumps as much) and higher top speeds.
However, if you have limited storage space or plan to transport your trike frequently, the smaller wheel size would be advantageous because it will fold away to a smaller size, reducing the overall tricycle weight and making it easier to lift out of vehicles.
Best Tricycle for Adults: Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle
The Schwinn Meridian is perfect for senior riders and those looking for a stable tricycle that is easy to mount and dismount. Available with a range of gears and wheel sizes to suit your height and riding requirements.
- Wheels size: 24 or 26-inches
- Gears: 1, 3, or 7-speed
- Capacity: 300 lbs
- The low-set frame makes it easy to mount and dismount.
- Schwinn is a reputable brand
- Very stable when riding
- Choice of gears and wheels size
- I would have loved it if Schwinn offered a folding tricycle model
- Capacity may not suit heavier adults
- The saddle doesn’t feel wide enough.
The Schwinn Meridian has retained the top spot for 2023, which is disappointing because I would love to surprise you with a fantastic brand-new tricycle that everyone has yet to hear of.
But the reality is this.
Schwinn has once again proved itself as a stand-out performer based on extensive testing in various conditions and carefully comparing it to other leading and less-known brands.
So, what is it that I loved so much about the Schwinn Meridian?
- The Schwinn brand is exceptional. Schwinn consistently manufactures high-quality bicycles and has a reputation for looking after its customers. The Schwinn Meridian comes with a 5-year warranty on the frame, which is very confidence-inspiring.
- Superior ride quality. Thanks to its comprehensive set frame, the Schwinn Meridian was far and away the most stable of any of the tricycles ridden. It handles corners like a dream and makes me feel safe while riding.
- Customization options. As I explain in detail in my full Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle review, I appreciate that Schwinn gives you the options between a 24″ and 26″ wheel size. They also offer three different gearing options to choose from, which means you can customize your order depending on where you intend to ride, your height, and your fitness level.
Which gears and wheels size combination should you choose?
I provide an in-depth comparison of the different options in my Schwinn Meridian review (link above), which you can read if you want to dig deeper. For now, though, here are the key takeaways:
- I recommend the 26″ wheels for most people and would only advise selecting the 24″ wheels if you are under 5 foot 6 inches in height or have minimal storage space for your tricycle.
- Choose the single speed if you have good fitness levels, intend to ride only on flat terrain, or prefer the simplicity of not having any gears.
- Otherwise, I recommend the 3-speed option to help you tackle slightly hilly terrain or the 7-speed if you need to ascend steeper climbs. If you are a heavy adult or senior, the 7-speed is also worth considering because it allows you to ride more leisurely, even on flat terrain.
Best 3 Wheels Bike for Seniors: SixThreeZero Electric Tricycle
The SixThreeZero electric tricycle is the best 3-wheel bike for seniors because:
- It has a low step-through to make mounting and dismounting easier;
- The handlebars and seat can be easily adjusted for maximum ergonomic comfort; and
- It includes a 250-watt motor to assist if you become fatigued while out riding.
With its low step-thru frame and 250 watts motor, this electric tricycle is perfect for senior riders.
- Wheels size: 26-inches
- Gears: 7-speed
- Capacity: N/A lb
- The low step-through frame is perfect for senior riders
- 250 watts motor provides pedal assist or electric mode when required
- A very ergonomic tricycle that can be customized to your riding position.
- This is one of the more expensive tricycles that we tested.
During my research, I came across this video, which provides a fantastic walkthrough of the SixThreeZero tricycle:
Before I dig deeper into my review of this tricycle, it’s an exquisite design. I like the oceanic color scheme, complemented by an elegant leather-colored saddle and handlebar grips.
More importantly, though, is that the SixThreeZero is incredibly comfortable to ride thanks to its swooping handlebar design and fully adjustable saddle and handlebar (both height and angle).
These features ensure you can ride without unnecessary pressure or discomfort on your lower back, neck, and arms. This means maximum comfort while you ride.
The low step-through frame design is also ideal for senior riders because it means you don’t have to lift your legs too high when mounting or dismounting the trike.
This electric tricycle can be conveniently ridden in three different modes:
- Mode 1 – fully manual, where you ride like any other tricycle
- Mode 2 – pedal assist; in this mode, you still pedal, but you can opt from five different levels of pedal assist, which is fantastic if you’re feeling a bit tired, or need to ride up an incline.
- Mode 3 – electric mode, which means the motor does all the work, and you can sit back and enjoy the ride. In this mode, you can achieve top speeds of up to 15 mph.
The SixThreeZero is a unique tricycle for senior riders over 60 years old.
The only real drawback of this electric trike is the price tag, which still offers excellent value for an electric trike; however, it costs over $1,000 at the time of writing, which may only fit some’s budget.
Best Folding Tricycle for Adults: SLSY 7-Speed
The SLSY is perfect for riders seeking a foldable tricycle that's easy to transport and store, at an affordable price.
- Wheels size: 20, 24, or 26-inches
- Gears: 7-speed
- Capacity: 320 lbs
- It folds! The 20″ version folds away to 40″ by 41.”
- SLSY has been producing popular tricycles for several years
- Great value for money.
- 320lb carrying capacity is lower than other trikes
- Assembly can be challenging (although this applies to most trikes).
Every year, there is increasing demand for foldable tricycles, which makes perfect sense as the advantages of folding bikes over regular ones are even more prominent for 3-wheel bikes because of their (relatively) more significant size and higher weight than bicycles.
With that in mind, I recently did a deep-dive to evaluate the best foldable tricycles for adults, and based on my research and testing, I concluded that the SLSY 7-speed is the best folding tricycle for most adult riders.
So, what did I love about the SLSY?
Right off the bat, the SLSY folding adult tricycle has some features which were even better than the Schwinn Meridian. For example, the saddle has a backrest which makes it very comfortable to ride, it has a 320-pound carrying capacity, and with the simple activation of the central hinge, it folds away in seconds.
Other great features include the Shimano 7-speed drivetrain (perfect for hilly terrain or riding at a more manageable pace), a rear basket for carrying groceries or other luggage, and a choice of 20-inch, 24-inch, or 26-inch wheels.
If you need clarification about which wheel size to choose, don’t worry; I explain that in the buyer’s guide below.
There were some notable drawbacks of the SLSY too.
It has a steel frame that is excellent from a strength and robustness perspective but results in the bike weighing in at 55 pounds, which is heavier than I would have ideally liked.
I noticed it during test rides when I encountered a steep hill climb.
Also, I found the SLSY more complicated than most other trikes to assemble, which could be a disadvantage if you are unfamiliar with tricycle assembly.
Overall, it is excellent value for money, and if you’re looking for a 3-wheel bike that folds, the SLSY 7-speed is my recommended option. You can read my full SLSY folding tricycle review here.
Budget Pick: SLSY Adult Tricycle
It’s no coincidence that SLSY has taken two of the top three spots in this year’s shortlisted adult tricycles. In short, they offer a pretty decent trike at a very competitive price point.
This trike is perfect for heavier adults, thanks to its 420 lbs carrying capacity. Like the Schwinn, it comes in a range of sizes so you can customize it for your height.
- Wheels size: 20", 24" or 26"
- Gears: single or 7-speed
- Capacity: 420 lbs
- A high carrying capacity, ideal for heavier riders or those with loads to carry
- Exceptional bang for your buck.
- Some components were not from known brands such as Shimano
- Assembly can be challenging if you are not technically minded.
And while the SLSY folding tricycle has some obvious advantages in terms of storage and transportation, if that’s not particularly important to you, I recommend checking out the SLSY Adult Tricycle.
- The SLSY has a 420-pound carrying capacity, which exceeds even the Schwinn Meridian, and is excellent for heavier adults or those who want a higher weight limit.
- It comes in a fantastic array of colors, meaning you can find a style that’s just right for you. I loved the cerulean blue and shallow pink (what’s your favorite color?).
- The SLSY offers a similar selection of wheel size and gearing options to allow you to find the perfect combination for your intended riding terrain, fitness levels, and preferences.
Another vital advantage of the SLSY adult trike is that you can buy one for less than $500, which is why it’s my budget pick!
Like many other 3-wheel bikes I reviewed, SLSY offers this tricycle with 20-inch, 24-inch, or 26-inch wheels. All options are available with seven gears; however, only the 24-inch design offers a single-speed.
I rode the 26-inch, 7-speed design (my recommendation for most riders) and wanted to share my experiences with you.
First, assembling this adult tricycle is a fairly involved process, and it would be challenging if you are not technically minded or experienced in trike assembly. Fortunately, this video provides a super useful step-by-step guide:
Once I had assembled the SLSY, I took it out for a ride around my local streets, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality. Sure, it’s not as smooth to ride as the Schwinn Meridian, but at this lower price point, that is to be expected.
Next, I tested the SLSY on a steep hill climb which took some effort on my part but again, performance was solid, and I found the 7-speed gears helpful for riding in hilly terrain.
There were a few drawbacks I noticed during testing and based on my research of other SLSY owners’ feedback, too (i.e., things that other people have shared but I have yet to personally experience).
The main disadvantage is that the components of this trike are lower quality than other tricycles I tested in this review.
More specifically, the drivetrain is not Shimano or SRAM, the brakes are not from a reputable brand such as Tektro, and a generic unbranded manufacturer made the wheelset.
This is how SLSY has managed to get the price point under $500, so if you are on a limited budget, this is a necessary sacrifice.
If you can afford it, consider an upgrade to the Schwinn or another tricycle of similar reputable brand quality.
I touched briefly on the assembly process, and while this wasn’t an issue for me, I can see from people’s feedback that this was the single biggest issue and that failure to correctly assemble the tricycle resulted in negative feedback and a poor riding experience.
This feedback applies to almost every tricycle reviewed here.
My advice is that if you’re not an experienced bike mechanic or technically minded, then take the SLSY (or any other tricycle you buy) to your local bike shop and politely ask if they will help you to assemble it.Folding Bike Guy
Other notable drawbacks were that some larger riders found the seat uncomfortable, and there were reports of receiving the SLSY tricycle with some damaged parts from transportation. I did note that feedback was generally positive regarding SLSY replacing any damaged components free of charge.
Best Electric Tricycle for Adults: Addmotor Triketan
If you want an electric tricycle to cruise all around the city effortlessly, search no further.
The Addmotor Triketan is a phenomenal trike with a powerful 750 watts motor and 20″ fat tires. It makes for a comfortable ride and allows you to take it on beaches, snow, and any challenging terrain.
- Wheels size: 24" fat tires
- Gears: 7-speed
- Capacity: 350 lbs
- Powerful 750 watts motor can achieve 20mph
- Fat tires are perfect for comfort and challenging terrain
- High-quality build and components.
- The price tag matches the quality of this trike
- Almost impossible to pedal with a flat battery.
The Addmotor Triketan is a phenomenal trike with a powerful 750-watt motor and 20″ fat tires. It makes for a comfortable ride and allows you to take it on beaches, snow, and any challenging terrain.
I tested the motor extensively and found that I could achieve about 20 mph top speed, which is impressive, although I loved cruising on the Triketan and so most often used a half-throttle setting.
This also helps to preserve the battery life.
If you’re wondering, the motor is powered by a Panasonic 48V*16AH battery that charges in 6-7 hours and supplies up to 65 miles of continuous use.
And, of course, you can always use the manual pedals if the battery dies before reaching home. During testing, the battery went flat on me once, and it was much tougher to ride the Addmotor home with no pedal assist than I would have expected.
Addmotor placed a compact LCD on the handlebars that displayed the current speed and battery level and controlled the front light.
There are also rear brake lights to ensure maximum safety during night commutes.
The 7-speed Shimano TX55 gear provides a smooth riding experience with seamless shifting.
Understandably, this model is the most expensive one on my list. But given the motor’s performance, quality of the build, and Addmotor’s excellent brand reputation, I rated this as good value for money.
Best Tricycle for Heavy Adults: Viribus Adult Tricycle
If you are a heavier adult looking to buy an adult tricycle, narrow your search to tricycles with at least a 450 lb carrying capacity.
Viribus is perfect for heavy adults or large carrying loads because it has a 450 lb carrying capacity, includes front and rear baskets - and it costs less than $500.
- Wheels size: 24, or 26-inches
- Gears: 1, or 7-speed
- Capacity: 450 lbs
- 450 lb capacity makes this trike ideal for heavy adults
- Front and rear (detachable) baskets are handy for carrying groceries.
- Components are from generic brands, not Shimano, which has an excellent reputation.
Where can you find these?
Luckily I have researched for you. I recently put together my guide on the best tricycles for heavy adults. This guide shortlisted the four best trikes for plus-sized riders based on the selection criteria and testing.
So, what is my top pick?
I recommend the Viribus Adult Tricycle for heavy adults because it has a 450 lb carrying capacity, costs less than $500, and includes front and rear baskets, which are excellent for carrying larger loads.
The Viribus performed well during testing. I was impressed with the 110 lb basket carrying capacity, and the rear basket can be detached and wheeled around – perfect for combining exercise with grocery shopping.
Are there any disadvantages of the Viribus? There were two drawbacks that I experienced with the Viribus trike:
- The components are not from reputable suppliers such as Shimano, Mavic, Tektro, etc. While this is acceptable given the fantastic price point, I recommend upgrading to something like the Addmotor M-360 electric tricycle if you can afford a higher budget.
- The Viribus is a single-speed design that is great for minimal maintenance and performs well on flat, urban terrain but wouldn’t be ideal if you live in a hilly area, for example. Viribus offers a 7-speed tricycle; however, it only has a 330lb carrying capacity, which may need to be increased depending on your body weight and how much you plan to bring.
Best Tricycle for Small Adults: SLSY Adult Tricycle
The SLSY tricycle is ideal for small adults because it has a low step-through frame design and 20-inch wheels that accommodate riders between 4'8" and 5'6" in height.
- Wheels size: 20 inches
- Gears: 1, or 7-speed
- Capacity: 420 lbs
- 20-inch wheels are perfect for shorter adults
- Some components were from unknown brands
- Assembly can be challenging if you are not technically minded.
I already reviewed the SLSY, so please refer to this section for my honest opinion of this tricycle.
Best Women’s Tricycle: Viribus 7-Speed FTB
If you’re a female rider, the great news is that most tricycles for adults today are a unisex design, meaning that you have a vast selection of trikes to choose from.
The Viribus 7-speed tricycle is an ideal choice for women because it is stylish in various colors, has a padded spring saddle for extra comfort, and has a low step-through frame for easier mounting and dismounting.
- Wheels size: 24 or 26-inches
- Gears: 7-speed
- Capacity: 450 lbs
- The low step-through frame is ideal for female riders
- Stylish design with a range of color choices
- The wide, padded saddle provides extra comfort.
- Some components from generic brands.
That said, some specific design features are worth considering for women cyclists. And a special thanks to my wife for her invaluable input in identifying these selection criteria.
- Low step-through frame: generally makes mounting and dismounting easier, and this is particularly helpful if you happen to be wearing a long skirt during, for example, a weekend leisurely ride down by the coast.
- Braking system and levers: I have often found that brake levers on bicycles and tricycles are ergonomically designed to suit the average male’s hand span. This means that sometimes a female rider has difficulty maintaining a firm grip on the handlebars while trying to reach the brake levers. This can be addressed by setting the stop screws on the brakes to bring the levers a little closer to the handlebars.
- Color and style: of course, this boils down to personal preference; however, this was certainly something my wife felt was an essential consideration in her selection of a tricycle.
- Comfortable ride: In addition to being ergonomically comfortable (e.g., not an over-extended reach to the handlebars, which could result in lower back and neck pain), the tricycle should have a broader, padded saddle that is more suitably designed to fit a woman’s body shape.
Based on these and a few other considerations, the Viribus 7-speed tricycle is an ideal choice for women because it is stylish in various colors, has a padded spring saddle for extra comfort, and has a low step-through frame for easier mounting and dismounting.
Best Recumbent Trike: Mobo Triton Pro
Recumbent trikes can be an excellent option for riders experiencing back pain who require a more comfortable riding position. They are also ideal for die-hard recumbent riding fans who love this alternative riding style.
The Mobo Triton Pro is ideal for riders who enjoy a recumbent riding position, or those who suffer from back pain or injuries.
- Wheels size: 20" front, 16" rear
- Gears: Single-speed
- Capacity: 250 lbs
- The recumbent riding position reduces strain on the lower back
- Mobo is a reputable brand
- Suitable for riders between 4'2" and 6'3" in height.
- The recumbent riding style may not be suitable for all
- Reduced visibility when riding, you may need a flag to ensure vehicles and other riders can see you.
I must confess, while I can see the appeal of recumbent trikes, it is not something that I have taken a shine to – although I would be delighted to be converted by those who are far wiser than I on the benefits of recumbent riding 😉
Anyway, I digress.
If you are looking for a high-quality recumbent trike, the Mobo Triton Pro is arguably the best that you could buy.
Mobo Cruiser is arguably the best company that manufactures recumbent trikes.
As you might’ve guessed, the steering mechanism of this bike is noticeably different from the usual. First, the pedals are connected to the front wheel with crank arms. There’s no chainring or gears.
Instead of the standard handlebars, Mobo opted for two padded joystick handles placed right beside the seat.
The seat is comfortably padded with a 45-degree inclination to facilitate pedaling.
Although this trike is made of Hi-Ten steel, it can only support 250 lbs of body weight.
Despite having smaller parts with a tighter weight range, Mobo charges a lot for this trike, way more than the other products featured on this list.
With the basic setup, the bike’s frame extends for a total length of 48″. You can add up to thirteen to that length through the eight-slot adjustment system in front of the seat.
What this means is if you’re between 4’2″ and 6’3″ in height, then this tricycle is suitable for you.
The Selection Criteria: What We Look for In A Great Tricycle For Adults
When choosing the best adult tricycle, you should take note of all the bike’s components. Once you have done this, you should verify that they are all high-quality pieces.
Below is a list of all of the main components of a trike:
- Number of Gear Speeds
- Dual Braking System
- Folding Mechanism
- Seat Material
- Frame Material
- Rider Weight Limit
- Storage Weight Limit
Interestingly enough, if you think back to when you were younger – you will find that you probably learned how to ride a tricycle.
For this reason, people who have never felt confident on a road bike will be happy to transition to an adult tricycle.
These trikes are incredibly stable, and very little attention must be placed on balance; this is a stark contrast to what can be said about traditional two-wheel bikes.
Having three wheels instead of two has endless benefits. While they are not as quick as two-wheeled bicycles, they are much more functional.
Here are the five critical criteria you should consider when buying an adult tricycle:
|Tricycle Selection Criteria||Important Questions to Consider|
|Safety and Stability||How stable is the tricycle, and is it difficult to ride?|
|Tricycle brand reputation||Is the brand reputable, and what is the build quality like?|
|Ride comfort||How comfortable is the 3-wheel bike to ride?|
|Carrying capacity||Does the tricycle come with a basket, and what is the overall carrying capacity?|
|Value for money||Is this tricycle good value for money?|
Depending on your fitness levels, individual preferences, and budget, the weighting of each criterion may need to be adjusted.
For example, if you have limited storage space, choose a fantastic tricycle only if it’s the right size to fit in your garage at home. Likewise, if you suffer from lower back pain, you would likely prioritize ride comfort ahead of other criteria.
Safety And Stability
One of the primary advantages of a tricycle is that it is safer to ride and more stable than a bicycle. This is often an essential criterion for senior cyclists or people with balance issues.
When evaluating whether a tricycle is going to be safe and stable, you should consider the following:
- The overall dimensions of the trike (a broader base would provide increased stability).
- Ideally, take the tricycle for a test ride so you can judge how stable it is.
- Read reviews from other experienced tricycle experts and owners who can share their experiences with you.
Tricycle Brand Reputation
You want to choose a reputable tricycle brand with a proven history of building quality 3-wheel bikes and offering excellent customer service should you encounter any issues or difficulties with your tricycle.
I think where this selection criterion becomes a bit more of a “grey area” is if you have a limited budget. In this case, you may need to look to lesser-known brands to find a cheaper tricycle.
If you asked me which are the best tricycle brands, I recommend Schwinn, Van Raam, AddMotor (for electric adult tricycles), and Mobo. SLSY has been producing cheaper tricycles of good quality for those on a tighter budget, which offer great bang for your buck.
Another characteristic of adult tricycles is that they are built for comfortable riding.
While some bikes are built for speed, some for maneuverability, and others for comfort.
Essentially every single component of the trike has been carefully designed to suit your needs, so if you have never ridden one before, you’re certainly in for a treat.
This feature is helpful for people with difficulty riding regular bicycles, such as those with back injuries or chronic nerve pain.
If I had to pick something to compare riding a trike to, it would be sitting on a comfortable seat – perfectly upright and relaxed.
Many people with chronic injuries have reported that riding their adult trikes has benefited them massively – in some cases freeing them of their ailment almost entirely.
This benefit is also seen with older people, who cannot get out on the road using a standard bike and are significantly safer on a trike.
Almost every adult tricycle I have ever seen has been equipped with some storage space.
Most of which are fitted with a large basket that can carry almost anything.
Most of these storage baskets have weight limitations, but if you max them out, you likely need more time to cycle with them.
Adult tricycle baskets can easily fit in three or four grocery bags, a handful of animals, or anything else of equivalent size.
Similarly, if you would like to carry slightly more, in most cases, it is also straightforward for you to extend the storage space further.
The existence of such convenient storage space is the sole reason for us seeing an upsurge in adult tricycle popularity.
I have even heard tradespeople use tricycles to transport goods or produce around their workplace.
In addition to carrying additional loads on your tricycle, you should consider whether it suits your body weight. This is particularly important for heavier riders, and if you weigh over 350 pounds, you may find this Best Tricycles for Heavy Adults guide of use.
Value for Money
When we think of “value for money,” it’s essential not to equate this to the cheapest tricycle being the winner.
For example, it is not fair to directly compare the price of a regular adult tricycle with an electric tricycle as the latter has additional components, such as a motor and battery, which would add to the overall Recommended Retail Price (RRP).
Similarly, comparing two tricycles of similar specifications, one had a much better brand quality and customer service reputation. Even if that tricycle were more expensive, it would represent better value for money.
This criterion is somewhat subjective; however, understanding the underlying principles will help you objectively compare how different tricycles rate in terms of the value for money they offer.
How We Picked The Best Adult Tricycles
The team at Folding Bike Guy has been testing, riding, and reviewing adult tricycles for over ten years. In that time, we have seen fantastic progress regarding the variety and quality of tricycles available on the market.
In addition to previous tricycle research and testing, we performed the following task to help us in deciding which were the best adult tricycles of 2023:
- Spent over 50 hours reviewing the latest brands and tricycle models on the market
- Spoke with tricycle experts and experienced trike riders
- Updated our selection criteria to provide an unbiased evaluation of available 3-wheel bikes
- Tested the shortlisted trikes to evaluate their performance in a range of different terrains
Our criteria for selecting the top-performing tricycles included the following:
- Safety and stability
- Brand reputation
- Ride comfort
- Carrying capacity
- Value for money
Consideration was also given to specific requirements based on the tricycle category. For example, we only considered folding tricycles in the “best folding tricycle” category and compared how compact each model was when folded.
Our Testing Process And Why You Should Trust Us
Testing involved online research, desktop comparisons, and test rides of specific adult tricycles performed in various urban and rural environments on flat and hilly terrain.
We also tested shortlisted tricycles for carrying loads, such as weekly groceries, to see how well they performed while carrying extra loads.
Finally, we compiled a summary of all our trike testing, as shown in the table below:
|Adult Tricycle||Stability||Brand||Comfort||Capacity||Value||Overall Score|
I often receive questions from tricycle fans who are either looking to buy their first tricycle or have recently purchased one and have a few questions.
I have answered some of the most frequently asked tricycle questions below, and in addition, you can check out my complete list of adult tricycle guides and reviews.
What Is The Weight Limit For Adult Tricycle?
Most adult tricycles can carry between 220 pounds and 450 pounds of weight, including the rider and any additional equipment or material being transported.
Why Do Adults Ride Tricycles?
Adults ride tricycles because they offer many advantages over regular bikes. For example, they have a higher weight capacity than bicycles, providing a safer, more stable ride ideal for senior riders or people with balance issues.
Another characteristic of adult tricycles is that they are built for comfortable riding.
Are Adult Tricycles Harder To Ride?
Tricycles are more straightforward to ride than bicycles because they have three wheels, providing enhanced stability. If you are unfamiliar with how to ride a tricycle, it can take some getting used to initially, and I always recommend taking an easy first ride on flat, smooth terrain.
Is An Adult Tricycle Good For Exercise?
Tricycles are perfect for exercise, especially for senior riders or people with prior injuries who may not be able to use a traditional bicycle to exercise or as transport.
Are Tricycles Good For Seniors?
Tricycles are an excellent choice for seniors who wish to maintain their fitness and freedom while ensuring safety while riding. They are a good compromise between a traditional bicycle and a mobility scooter for the outdoors.